Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A very quick and very delicious rice

Bowls of Chicken Fried Rice

On weekdays I eat my lunch alone. Hubby and son both having carried their packed lunches along with them are never at home for lunch on a weekday. Now I am a person who loves one dish non-fussy meals. Hubby being a bit of a traditionalist where eating is concerned likes elaborate meals and so when I cook a Maharashtrian meal for the three of us (which is every evening ) I cook Bhaji, Amti, Chapatis some form of Koshimbir or salad and sometimes rice. It takes about an hour and a half to cook all this from scratch. Gets a bit monotonous when you have to do it almost everyday, though I admit I do prepare pasta and garlic bread and stuff like that and all three of us are very happy eating that too. Why wouldn't we be?

But then when I eat alone I try to make food that requires minimum amount of time cooking but is at the same time filling, nutritious and full on flavour. No compromise there. Some days back I made this rice with whatever was available in my fridge. I was surprised at how good it tasted. It was hot, spicy, sweet and sour all at the same time. And although I couldn't wait to dig in I had the good sense to take a picture of the dish. And am I glad I did. I can share it with all of you today.

Ingredients:

3 cups leftover cooked rice,

1 onion sliced,

1 tblspn readymade garlic paste from a bottle

1 cup cooked and shredded chicken,

1 cup assorted diced vegetables (capsicum, carrots,peas corn, sugar snap peas)

2 spring onions finely chopped,

2 tblspns tomato ketchup,

2 tblspns soya sauce,

1 stock cube of OXO veg,

salt to taste

Oil to cook

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a wok, and stir fry the sliced onion ,garlic and all the veggies until cooked but still with a bite to them

2. Next add and stir in the shredded chicken and crush and sprinkle the OXO stock cube over it. As the chicken is already cooked it does not require any further cooking.

3. Now add the rice, both the sauces and salt. Toss it all well but with a light hand. As a final touch add the chopped spring onions . These come at the end as a garnish.

Your rice is ready to eat. You can replace the chicken with scrambled eggs or skip both and make it completely vegetarian. The star ingredient here is the tomato ketchup. That is what lends the rice that awesome flavour. It is bit of cheating but who is complaining.

7 comments:

Arundathi said...

that looks amazing! i'm such a sucker for fried rice and this looks so nice and brown. gonna have to try this recipe with the egg. is it ok to substitute water for the soup cube?

Finla said...

That is realy delicious looking, love the way you plated it up.
You do everyday Maharashtrian meal, if i was living close by i am sure it would have been very difficult to get rid of me in the dinner time. I will be waiting there to eat all your delicious food

Anupama said...

Hi Arundathi, Skip the soup cube, but don't add any water either.That cube acts as the masala for the rice. Add a bit of pepper if you like instead.

raaji said...

I really loved the cookies u made and few divali festive foods.......i would like to try all these...

Usha said...

Quick simple and delicious, I love this recipe...

Sorin said...

You have a very nice blog, good post…keep up the good job

Dori said...

That rice looks yummy, perfect lunch!