Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Dieters Delight (Veg Clear Soup)


A Dieters Delight, originally uploaded by Anupama 72.

Between me and my husband it is I who should be counting calories and checking my weight every few days. But that is not how it is. It is my husband who is calorie conscious and somewhat of a fitness freak. Every few days he has a guilt trip if he has eaten more than he should at a meal or has had even as much as one glass too much of coke.When he is on one such guilt trip he calls me from the office and asks me to make him a very light supper.
So last week when I was away at a birthday party and he was going to be alone for supper I made him this soup. (Btw I had Pav Bhaji , birthday cake, and coke at the party)Its light but very wholesome and yummy. Even my 4 yr old will happily slurp on it.(Btw I had Pav Bhaji , birthday cake, and coke at the party)

What goes in it:
1/2 cup each of the following veggies diced:
carrots, peas, spring onions, cauliflower, cabbage sweetcorn or baby corn, french beans.
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 tblspns oil
2 tspn soy sauce,
5 cups vegetable stock,
1 tblspn cornflour
salt to taste

What you do:
Heat the oil in a saucepan
Saute the garlic first and then all the veggies
Add soy sauce and salt
Add the stock and boil the soup.
When it comes to boil add the cornflour mixed in a small amount of water.
Simmer the soup till the veggies are tender but stiil firm.
Add some pepper to taste and serve hot.

How do you prepare veg stock:
Stock can be prepared either from vegetables or from those parts of vegetables that we normally discard. For eg: carrot peels, cauliflower stalks,outer shells of green peas etc.So don't throw these away.(I give Vaishali full credit for this idea)
Alternatively take two cups of mixed veggies (potatoes, carrots, peas, beans, cauliflower, cabbage) all cut into big pieces. Add to this 5/6 cups of water and cook in a pressure cooker. When cooked pass the stock through a sieve. This liquid is your veg stock. This can be poured into ice trays and frozen and used as and when required.

I'll now hop over to Tami's Super Souper Challenge with my Soup. Hope she likes it too

Oh! and yes with this post my blog is 50 posts old today.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 50th post! Nice hot wintery soup....and the vegetable stock preparation from discarded portions of veggies....is a great technique. Thanks for sharing!:-)

Ranjani

Anonymous said...

WOW....... I guess with winter setting in, all of us are into the soup mood...... and what more than doubling it up with loosing some weight. ;) Lovely presentation Anupama. :)

www.mykhazanaofrecipes.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

such a nice recipe, i have to give it a try and let u know.and by the way Congrats for your 50th post.

Ashwini said...

Ooooh I could use that right now! Was laughing at your account of the birthday dinner :-D

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Good appetizer.Congrats!on your 5oth post.

Anonymous said...

SUPER YUMMY soup! Anupama, thank you for this and congratulations on your 5oth!

Anonymous said...

Wow, healthy food rocks! Congrats on the 50th entry.

Anupama said...

Thankyou all for your good wishes and for your appreciation of the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Happy 50th! Thanks for the entry to the soup challenge - yummy *and* great presentation!

manju bansal said...

Tempting soup!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 50th post! The soup looks yummy and cozy, I'm glad you and your hubby both got what you were looking for :)!

Anonymous said...

Hi Anupama,first time here.Soup looks great.I bet it must have been very tasty too.I know what you mean about being calorie conscious.but you know the more you cook,the more you feel hungry and in my case,the more blogs I visit,the hungrier I get!!:-)

Mythreyee said...

This is a Wonderful Soup Anupama. Thanks for the recipe. The Soup Picture looks great. A very tempting soup you have made. Will try it surely.

tanvee28 said...

hello there :)
hey could u suggest some substitute to cornflour? like, will juwar flour do?
thanx!

Herryponting said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Herryponting said...

Dieting can be difficult. But it can also be satisfying. Especially with the help of my relaxing, flavorful, all natural Super Dieter's Teas.
Laci Le tea