Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mango Mastani (It's seriously addictive)

Mango Mastani


My memories of enjoying a Mango Mastani go back a long long way, right to the time when I was about 10 years old. I mean today Pune has some fabulous Mastani places where the Mastani is sold in many different flavours but back then my dad used to take us to a small place , a stall actually, located at Saras Baug (readers from Pune will know the location ) . It was called Vasant Cold Drink House . It belonged to a friend of my dad's and he and sold the most awesome Mango Mastani made from fresh Alphonso mangoes and made in a hand turned ice cream maker. Eating this Mastani was a luxury and at a price as low as Rs.10.00 per glass it was practically free considering today's prices. A Mastani today costs around Rs.60.00 to 70.00 at Sujata Mastani in Pune .

So every time I think of Mastani I always remember that small place which gave me my first taste of this beautiful beautiful dessert. No wonder it's also got this royal name . Mastani was a danseuse and wife to Bajirao Peshwa . She was a stunning combination of beauty and bravery that history recollects and it is said that her skin was as smooth and delicate as porcelain. Well our Mastani is just as beautiful, don't you think?

So here's my version of the Mango Mastani:
As it the Mango season I used fresh mangoes but otherwise just go ahead and use canned mango pulp, but preferably Alphonso mango.

To make 2 tall glasses of Mastani you need:
Pulp of 1 large Alphonso Mango or 2 medium ones (or of course the equivalent in canned pulp)
1.5 glasses of cold whole milk,
4 tpns sugar
lots of ice cubes
And good quality mango icecream or mango kulfi (I used kulfi)

Method:
Whizz up the milk ,mango , sugar and ice in a blender until thick and frothy. Pour out into tall glasses upto three quarters. Then put in 2 scoops of mango icecream on the top and decorate with cubed mango and some whipped cream . Put in a straw and a long spoon and serve chilled. Or drink it and go straight to heaven.

Other good variations are :
Rose milkshake and mango icecream,
Rose milkshake and pistacchio icecream,
Strawberry milkshake and vanilla icecream
But of course nothing comes close to the total mango version.

12 comments:

Finla said...

Wish i could get delicous mangoes here, this mango mastani looks so yummy delicous.

Dori said...

Wow, I would like to make this with the canned pulp... sounds too perfect for summer!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

oh what a masti name I am all focused on the straw reaching my mouth... looks so thirst quenching!!!

Purnima said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Purnima said...

A new name! Just brought back memories of Bajirao Mastani(A TV serial watched a decade ago!) Honestly, Anupama, you surely know how to put together yum+yum things n get such lovely outcome! Now did I tell you how irresistible it looks!! THANKS a ton for sharing such a lovely Pune delicacy.

zobars said...

that drink could just jump out of your webpage and feed my thirst. I was wondering what would be the exact measurement for the mango pulp since we only get canned pulp here. thanks for sharing the recipe

Unknown said...

I am craving mangoes now. it really looks lke one served in restaurants. You made it like a pro!

John said...

Wow!
It looks so good and delicious.
www.ahacook.com

Usha said...

Sounds wonderful !

Parita said...

Hi Anupama..first time here..i love mastani..i have lived in pune and its my fav..the click looks delicious..m now craving for some :)

Meera said...

I tried this drink. It tasted wonderful. I've blogged it for Blog Bites 2.

Thanks for sharing.

Deepak said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.