Thursday, March 01, 2007

Hash Browns ( My Entry to Jhiva for Ingredients)

Oh God ! I have probably missed this event. But Vaishali being the kind soul that she is will consider my late entry and let me be part of this event. I even got a book from the library which has 100 recipes only with potato as the main ingredient. I have had it now for 3 weeks but I managed to open it only today . There are some really scrumptious recipes in there, but the one which appealed to me is this simple one of Hash Browns which I just love to eat. Till now I had eaten only the store bought variety which are good no doubt , but today I made them at home for the first time and they were delicious. Do try them out and have them as part of a typical english breakfast or just as a tea-time snack . Anyway you eat it they are yummy. Now without any further delay I'll get down to the recipe.

I used:

2 large potatoes (peeled, par-boiled and grated)

3 tblspns oil,

1 small onion finely chopped,

salt and pepper to season,

dried parsley or fresh chopped chives to garnish.

What I did with all these:

1. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottom frying pan. When the pan is very hot spread the grated potatoes evenly into the pan. Press the potatoes down gently.

2.Spread the chopped onion evenly over the potatoes and cook over a medium heat.

3. Season generously with salt and pepper,

4. When the potatoes are browned from underneath make sections by cutting through with a pizza cutter or a sharp knife.

5. Turn over the hash in sections and cook again until the other side gets crispy and brown too.

6. Garnish with chopped chives or parsley and serve hot with loads of tomato ketchup.

Well thats all there is to it. Easy ,isn't it? And that below is the book from which I followed the recipe.


22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hash browns look wonderful! My favorite (and the kids' too!) :)

Menu Today said...

Hi Anupama,
Nice presentation and it looks nice, Thanks for sharing.

jacob said...

nice! i can't believe how crunchy they look.

Vaishali said...

Hey, they are so simple to make, Anupama! With some ketchup...mmmm...especially if the ketchup is in such a pretty bowl!

Latha said...

Hey Anupama,
These look delectable! And the book looks like a treasure!
Cheers
Latha

Seema Bhat said...

Hashbown looks brown and crunchy. Perfect winter snack

Swapna said...

Interesting book, a nice recipe, and a very cute ketchup bowl:) Way to go, girl!
Swaps

Viji said...

Quite interesting recipe. Easy to make also. Tks. Viji

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

deadly delicious dish for JFI

Lakshmik said...

Hi Anupama

That's an easy recipe for hash browns. I always felt intimidated by the procedure. Will try out your version now.

Vini K said...

Hi Anupama,you have a nice blog here.The hash browns look soo good,I love hash browns too!

Sorry it took soo long to look up your blog because everytime you commented on my blog,I could never see the link to your blog.Now I have found your blog,so blogrolling you!

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hey im here for the first time.Lovely blog dear.The presentation of hash browns is mind blowing....

Prema Sundar said...

Lovely looking Hash browns Anupama. haven't tried cooking hashbrowns and ur recipe tempts me to try it soon. Thanks

Sig said...

I love hashbrowns with everything. Nice easy recipe.

BTW, good to meet another Shopaholic fan :) I love those books, when I read the confessions I got so scared that my life is turning out to be exactly like Becky's.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Wonderful. They look so crispy and crunchy. Would just love to reach into the screen and grab one. I like the form you chose too.

Anonymous said...

Wow the hasbrowns look awesome,
the brown layer looks very tempting

Unknown said...

Your Hash Browns look awesome they look nice and crispy .Great job.:)

Unknown said...

Your Hash Browns look awesome they look nice and crispy .Great job.:)

pipe fittings said...

A wonderful article. In my life, I have never seen a man be so selfless in helping others around him to get along and get working.

Anonymous said...

wow..sounds scrumptiously tasty..
first time here maheswari..love your space..
awesome presentation with nice recipes..Superb methods.
Am your happy follower now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..



Send Free SMS

Funny SMS

Unknown said...

Thanks for the good advise..we hope that we will get better things than this,,

To get Bangladeshi book storeclick here

Free book download

http://Free-bangla-book.blogspot.com



70

Unknown said...

very simple and awesome recipe.. thanks a lot for such a nice recipe. For cocktail and mocktail drink recipes check at foodsnearme.com/Beverage Recipes