Friday, August 11, 2006

Crispy Spicy Aubergine Slices

Now Brinjal or Aubergine, like it is stylishly called now a days even by people who have called it Brinjal all their lives ,is something that as a child I was forced to eat by my mother. She cooked it in all possible interesting ways but even then it was something that I dreaded eating.It made me go green in the face. One fine day she made these crispy brinjal slices and told me to imagine that I was eating fried fish(which was my favorite) and then eat them. But clever and smart (read over-smart) that I was , I asked her whether she would eat fried fish imagining that it was brinjal (she is a pure vegetarian) . My mother, if I remember correctly, just left the room. But that was then. Slowly as a teenager and later in my 20s I developed a liking for this vegetable though still not in all its forms. But it was only after my marriage when I ate similar slices made by my MiL that I really began loving this dish and now I prepare it quite often .Hope you guys like it too.


Simple Ingredients:

1 large brinjal sliced(1 brinjal makes about 8/9 slices), 1 cup chickpea flour (besan), 1 cup fine semolina, 2 tspn cumin-coriander powder mix, 1 tspn chilli powder, 2 tspn salt, 2 tspn powdered sugar, 1/2 tspn Hing (asafoetida), 1/2 tspn turmeric powder. Increase the spice and chilli level according to taste.

Procedure:

1. Slice the Brinjal into thick slices and drop them in a large bowl of lightly salted water. This will keep the brinjal from discolouring.

2.Mix all the above ingredients and check the taste. Add more salt or spices if needed.

3 Heat a tawa (Skillet) and coat it generously with oil.

4. Thickly coat the brinjal slices one at a time in the besan mixture and place on the tawa. Shallow fry only 4 slices at a time. Cover the slices with a lid so the brinjal cooks through and through. Turn them once over . Now do not cover. Remove them onto a plate. They are ready to eat. If making them for guests you can prepare them ahead and only pop them into a moderate oven for 5 mins before serving.

5. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve on a bed of crisp shredded cabbage leaves



9 comments:

Vaishali said...

...Aubergine, like it is stylishly called now a days even by people who have called it Brinjal all their lives...

Hahahahaha...I agree. I too am one of those *nouveau-stylish* people. Brinjal sounds too botanical to me. Just like 'capsicum'. 'Bell pepper' sounds more edible. ;-)

Btw, you were apparently not an easy child to raise. My heart goes out to your mother. :)

Puspha said...

Looks yummy but then, I'm not a brinjal or aubergine eater.

KrishnaArjuna said...

Great looking bhajis! Great story too..
If I were in your place.. I can imagine getting a nice spanking from my mother after saying something like that..

Shankari said...

did your mother say, "u did not like it so much when I made it and now you rave abt your MIL's ". I can totally see my mother joking like that to me. Very bice recipe, thanks for sharing!

Nandita said...

Hey Anupama,
I can totally understand your relationship with good ol' brinjal-you either love it or you hate it or allergic to it. I fall in the last category. Suprisingly roasting a baingan makes it non-allergic to me. A funny phenomenon.
Anyway, nice recipe- Baigan bhajia, good for rainy times like these.
Hey just had a look at your BPW- made me smile- :)

Pavani said...

Hi Anupama,
Brinjal is my all time favorite veggie. Love the way you cooked it. Will definitely try this recipe next time.

Vanita Kriplani Anup said...

Wow !i love Brinjal ! and am making this right now !! I never liked this when i was a kid but now i just love eating it..baingab barta , baingan theyal, baingan fry..name it ... !

Shella said...

I love baingan this way. You have a very nice blog. I have never had maharashtrian food, but I see some very nice recipes in your blog & will surely try them out.

Greenbay said...

just stumbled on to the blog-lovely brinjal recipe. or shall I say Solanum melongena L