So I just went out and bought a few ready to eat desserts that can be like warmed up in the microwave for a few seconds. But then I also browsed the internet for some easy to make desserts and came across some pretty good stuff. What caught my eye this time was this very fast to make Coffee Cake that can be baked in 5 mins flat in the microwave. I am great fan of "coffee anything" and immediately got down to making it.
There was also a butter frosting in the recipe and I had my usual doubts about it. I love frosting in moderation as long as it is not very very sweet and does not completely overpower the original taste of the cake. But I went ahead and made it anyway. I am glad I did. The coffee flavoured butter icing was delicious. It really enhanced the taste of the entire cake and the cake tasted even better the next day. This recipe makes a lot of batter so I made 2 cakes instead of one large one
Here's the recipe:
Preapare two microwave proof dishes by greasing with butter and dusting them with flour.
225 gms or 1 cup salted butter (butter has to be really soft at room temp)
225 gms or 1 cup sugar
225 gms or 2 cups plain flour
5 eggs (also at room temp)
45 ml or 3 tblspns coffee essence
1 tblspn cocoa powder (this was my addition to the recipe as coffee and cocoa really enhance each other
1 tspn baking powder
For the frosting:
2 tblspns coffee essence
1 tblspn instant coffee dissolved in 2 tblspns on water ( this is also something I added to the recipe to the make the frosting brown in colour)
175 gms butter
150 gms icing sugar
- Beat the butter and sugar together until really soft and light.
- Add to this the eggs one by one beating well after adding each egg
- Add the coffee essence and cocoa powder next and stir in well
- In another bowl sieve the flour and baking powder together
- Slowly fold in the flour completely and evenly into the wet mixture. Do not over mix.
- Pour the mixture equally into the 2 bowls and bake one at a time in the microwave at full power for 5 mins.
- Let the cakes rest for another 4 /5 minutes.
- A cocktail stick inserted should come out dry.
- Wait for the cakes to cool completely before turning them out and icing them.
For the frosting mix all the ingredients and smooth the frosting over the cake . To get best results use a palette knife (which I do not have). I used the star nozzle to decorate the borders.
I think this is a good cake to make for the Christmas holidays